At Corinthia, we always strive to provide the best rates on our website. If you don’t think we have, we’ll pay for 100% of your room on the first night, and price match the rest. Should you find a lower price elsewhere, please submit a claim within 24 hours of your original booking and we will respond within two working days. Please note, this also applies to discounts and promotions available on Corinthia.com.
Process for making a claim:
Step 1. If within 24 hours of a confirmed reservation with Corinthia Hotels made on Corinthia.com, you find a lower rate for the same hotel, room type, inclusions, stay dates, discounts and payment conditions, please contact the relevant email address from the list below to make your claim. All claims must be made within 24 hours of the original booking and at least 24 hours prior to the standard check-in time of the hotel.
Step 2. Your claim should be supported by the URL where the lower rate was found and a screen shot which clearly displays the date of stay, room type, same hotel, inclusions and payment conditions of the lower rate offering on the competing website. Please include your contact information (name, email and phone number).
Step 3. If we are able to verify that the lower rate found qualifies for the Best Rate Guarantee, and all other terms and conditions are met, Corinthia Hotels will pay for 100% of the room charges of your first night, and will price match the room for the rest of your stay. You will be charged for all nights booked at the matched rate, minus the first night which will be free.
To make your claim, email the relevant hotel on one of the following:
First nightfree, match rate for rest of stay, no minimum nights
Terms and Conditions:
Corinthia Hotels guarantees the best online rate on corinthia.com based on the following terms and conditions:
1. Your original booking must have been made through corinthia.com.
2. The lower rate must be found and the claim submitted by email within 24 hours of the original booking and at least 24 hours prior to the standard check-in time at the hotel. If the original booking was made within 24 hours of arrival, the Best Rate Guarantee is not applicable.
3. The Best Rate Guarantee only applies to published rates available to the general public online, which can be found and booked immediately without any kind of restriction or payment restrictions.
4. The lower rate found must be for exactly the same booking criteria - the same hotel, the same room type, same inclusions, the same stay dates, same number of guests, the same rate description and, if applicable, the same promotion. The cancellation and advance purchase policy and all other terms and conditions of the stay must also be identical. If the claim refers to a reservation consisting of several nights' accommodation, the average rate for each night will be compared to the average rate for each night, for an identical reservation, using the website where the lower rate is found.
5. Corinthia Hotels will verify the lower rate claim and respond within two working days of the claim being made. *Claims will be processed from Monday to Friday, between 9am to 5pm, at the hotel's local time.
6. The rate comparison will be made net of any taxes, gratuities or any other fees or charges associated with the room rate, and the lower rate must still be available at the time the hotel validates the claim.
7. The Best Rate Guarantee is void where prohibited by law. Corinthia Hotels reserves the right to modify or cancel its Best Rate Guarantee policy at any time in its sole discretion and without prior notice.
8. Corinthia Hotels has the sole right and discretion to determine the validity of any claim, including without limitation, determining that the lower rate found is genuinely available and that the claim meets all terms and conditions. In case of dispute, Corinthia Hotels' decision is final.
9. In the case of a fully prepaid rate booked through corinthia.com, Corinthia Hotels will refund the difference to your credit card, if applicable, within 30 business days of submitting your claim. Corinthia Hotels is not responsible for any fees associated with cancelling a reservation made through a different channel.
10. Best Rate Guarantee will be suspended during times where corinthia.com or certain rates are not available due to an outage, a technical issue or a circumstance beyond Corinthia Hotels' reasonable control.
11. The Best Rate Guarantee does not apply to rates found offline, negotiated corporate rates, group or MICE rates, opaque provider rates or rates requiring membership in a club or other organization, governmental rates, direct mail or email solicitations, rates offered by providers that do not supply the name or location of the hotel until after a reservation has been made or other rates that are not available to the general public. We reserve the right to deny a claim if the availability of the Competing Rate cannot be independently verified at the time of processing the claim.
12. The Best Rate Guarantee does not apply to packaged rates. Packaged rates include Hotel accommodations sold as part of a travel package in which the Hotel does not provide all services (including but not limited to airfare and/or car rental, tours etc.) and Hotel accommodations sold with additional amenities.
13. Corinthia Hotels may deny a claim where the difference between the rates is less than 1%.
14. If the Competing Rate is in a different currency from the rate booked on corinthia.com, the Competing Rate will be converted into the same currency as the rate offered on our website using the exchange rate as published in www.xe.com in place at the time the initial reservation was made. Discrepancies may occur between Corinthia Hotels' rate and the Competing Rate due to differences in exchange rate sources. If the rate discrepancy is solely due to exchange rate fluctuations, we reserve the right to deny the claim.
Full of Art Nouveau flourishes, and a coffee drinking culture that goes back centuries, the cafes in Budapest are a sight to behold
Is there anything more agreeable in the world than to while away the hours over a cup of rich, dark coffee and a deliciously-decadent pastry? Perhaps the only way to improve this scenario is to set your scene in one of the opulent grand cafes in Budapest. Full of picturesque architecture, Art Nouveau flourishes, and a coffee drinking culture that goes back centuries, the cafes in Budapest are a sight to behold. Called kávéházak here, these coffee houses are living vestiges of a past era: with their decadent décor, old world pastries, and artistic reputations, they offer plenty of palate-pleasing delights. Whether you go boho at Művész Kávéház, or opt for more refined surroundings at Ruszwurm, make like a 19th century local and seek solace away from the snow at one of these wonderful grand cafes in Budapest.
With chandeliers on the ceiling, gilded stucco on the walls and marble counters and floors, café-cum-confectioner Café Gerbeaud is definitely no Starbucks. In fact, having opened in 1858, it ranks among the oldest classic cafes in Budapest. There’s nowhere better to sit back with a decadent glass of Hungarian sparkling wine and cream-filled delicacy and pretend to be a Hapsburg monarch.
Mere sugar-addled steps from the Buda Castle, lovely Ruszwurm makes up in desserts what it lacks in space. Open since 1827, the interior’s carved wood and golden chandelier gives the diminutive space the aura of a very well appointed living room. The Dobos torte – a Hungarian caramel many-layered sponge cake – served here is rightly legendary so make sure you try a slice of this heavenly confectionary.
Grand Cafes in Budapest tend to wear their founding years as proud emblems and with 1887 emblazoned on its chest, elegant and old world Centrál Kávéház fares very well indeed as one of the city’s most popular kávéházak. Entering feels a bit like taking a step into another, more highly-gilded era – except that the complimentary newspapers by the door reference the EU rather than the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
But not every café in Budapest requires a 100-year-old history in order to count as suitably “grand.” One glimpse of Callas Café’s interior, designed by celebrated interior architect David Collins, and you’re bound to respond with superlatives. The Art Deco chandeliers, marble patterned floors, and gilded arches have a way of inspiring such a reaction – as does the Szatmári plum cake.
Its name (Művész Kávéház means Artist Coffeehouse) is no subtle nod to this grand café’s bohemian credentials, and it’s true that, having been open since 1898, this café has seen a fair few artistic types pass through its doors. Just steps from the Hungarian State Opera House, Művész Kávéház today draws operagoers with the siren call of its many cakes.
Though shut for a lengthy period after the end of World War II, Hadik Kávéház has thankfully been restored and reopened since. One of the grand cafes in Budapest most frequented by the city’s artists and intellectuals, this kávéházak now boasts meta murals of creative tête-à-têtes of yore. Admire its past with a custardy dessert in front of you.
Perhaps more patisserie than café, the august Auguszt is nevertheless an old world icon – it was opened in 1870, after all. Those wondering what to do in Budapest need only look to the desserts: underneath a sprawling crystal chandelier, a glass counter displays jewel-like sweets varyingly glazed with fruit, stuffed with custard, or powdered with icing sugar.
Where better to house a café than within a bookshop? After all, if it’s snow flurries you’re hiding from and powerful coffee you seek, some accompanying (and edifying) entertainment is advised. Of course, keeping your eyes on the pages may prove difficult – with Alexandra Book Café’s soaring, golden, fresco-covered ceiling, you may just find yourself gawping skywards.
With stuccoed ceilings, globe lights, chandeliers, and curio-filled antique cabinets, Múzeum Café and Restaurant (just next door to the Hungarian National Museum – surprise, surprise) has been in operation since 1885. Don’t just stick to the sweets, though: at this cafe the entire menu is equally appetising.
Ice cream, cakes, chocolates, and marzipan. If that isn’t reason enough to settle into one of the marble-topped tables at this confectionary-themed coffeehouse, know that, for guests staying at the Corinthia Hotel Budapest, Szamos Marcipan Royal Café is located just downstairs. Make sure to sample their decadent Royal Cake, a delicious chocolate and raspberry temptation inspired by famous Jazz star Josephine Baker and her performance at the hotel’s Orpheum Club in 1928.