At Corinthia, we always strive to provide the best rates on our website. If you don’t think we have, we’ll pay for 100% of your room on the first night, and price match the rest. Should you find a lower price elsewhere, please submit a claim within 24 hours of your original booking and we will respond within two working days. Please note, this also applies to discounts and promotions available on Corinthia.com.
Process for making a claim:
Step 1. If within 24 hours of a confirmed reservation with Corinthia Hotels made on Corinthia.com, you find a lower rate for the same hotel, room type, inclusions, stay dates, discounts and payment conditions, please contact the relevant email address from the list below to make your claim. All claims must be made within 24 hours of the original booking and at least 24 hours prior to the standard check-in time of the hotel.
Step 2. Your claim should be supported by the URL where the lower rate was found and a screen shot which clearly displays the date of stay, room type, same hotel, inclusions and payment conditions of the lower rate offering on the competing website. Please include your contact information (name, email and phone number).
Step 3. If we are able to verify that the lower rate found qualifies for the Best Rate Guarantee, and all other terms and conditions are met, Corinthia Hotels will pay for 100% of the room charges of your first night, and will price match the room for the rest of your stay. You will be charged for all nights booked at the matched rate, minus the first night which will be free.
To make your claim, email the relevant hotel on one of the following:
First nightfree, match rate for rest of stay, no minimum nights
Terms and Conditions:
Corinthia Hotels guarantees the best online rate on corinthia.com based on the following terms and conditions:
1. Your original booking must have been made through corinthia.com.
2. The lower rate must be found and the claim submitted by email within 24 hours of the original booking and at least 24 hours prior to the standard check-in time at the hotel. If the original booking was made within 24 hours of arrival, the Best Rate Guarantee is not applicable.
3. The Best Rate Guarantee only applies to published rates available to the general public online, which can be found and booked immediately without any kind of restriction or payment restrictions.
4. The lower rate found must be for exactly the same booking criteria - the same hotel, the same room type, same inclusions, the same stay dates, same number of guests, the same rate description and, if applicable, the same promotion. The cancellation and advance purchase policy and all other terms and conditions of the stay must also be identical. If the claim refers to a reservation consisting of several nights' accommodation, the average rate for each night will be compared to the average rate for each night, for an identical reservation, using the website where the lower rate is found.
5. Corinthia Hotels will verify the lower rate claim and respond within two working days of the claim being made. *Claims will be processed from Monday to Friday, between 9am to 5pm, at the hotel's local time.
6. The rate comparison will be made net of any taxes, gratuities or any other fees or charges associated with the room rate, and the lower rate must still be available at the time the hotel validates the claim.
7. The Best Rate Guarantee is void where prohibited by law. Corinthia Hotels reserves the right to modify or cancel its Best Rate Guarantee policy at any time in its sole discretion and without prior notice.
8. Corinthia Hotels has the sole right and discretion to determine the validity of any claim, including without limitation, determining that the lower rate found is genuinely available and that the claim meets all terms and conditions. In case of dispute, Corinthia Hotels' decision is final.
9. In the case of a fully prepaid rate booked through corinthia.com, Corinthia Hotels will refund the difference to your credit card, if applicable, within 30 business days of submitting your claim. Corinthia Hotels is not responsible for any fees associated with cancelling a reservation made through a different channel.
10. Best Rate Guarantee will be suspended during times where corinthia.com or certain rates are not available due to an outage, a technical issue or a circumstance beyond Corinthia Hotels' reasonable control.
11. The Best Rate Guarantee does not apply to rates found offline, negotiated corporate rates, group or MICE rates, opaque provider rates or rates requiring membership in a club or other organization, governmental rates, direct mail or email solicitations, rates offered by providers that do not supply the name or location of the hotel until after a reservation has been made or other rates that are not available to the general public. We reserve the right to deny a claim if the availability of the Competing Rate cannot be independently verified at the time of processing the claim.
12. The Best Rate Guarantee does not apply to packaged rates. Packaged rates include Hotel accommodations sold as part of a travel package in which the Hotel does not provide all services (including but not limited to airfare and/or car rental, tours etc.) and Hotel accommodations sold with additional amenities.
13. Corinthia Hotels may deny a claim where the difference between the rates is less than 1%.
14. If the Competing Rate is in a different currency from the rate booked on corinthia.com, the Competing Rate will be converted into the same currency as the rate offered on our website using the exchange rate as published in www.xe.com in place at the time the initial reservation was made. Discrepancies may occur between Corinthia Hotels' rate and the Competing Rate due to differences in exchange rate sources. If the rate discrepancy is solely due to exchange rate fluctuations, we reserve the right to deny the claim.
From catacombs to temples, the archipelago’s subterranean world is as magnificent as the one above ground.
With its grand Baroque architecture and pearly beaches infused with sparkling Mediterranean light, it’s easy to see why Malta makes its way into more than a few Instagram feeds. The island has starred in many Hollywood blockbusters, including Troy, The Da Vinci Code and Game of Thrones. But that’s just above ground. Leave the sun-baked piazzas and candy-bright gelateria behind and head down into Malta’s underground kingdoms to discover an atmospheric Oscar-worthy set that’s as fascinating and stunning as the one at street level.
Beneath Malta’s capital is a warren of tunnels, liberally punctuated with small bunkers large enough to house families of four. They were carved out during World War II, providing shelter from a relentless peppering of Italian and German bombs. As with most architectural treasures in Valletta, these are not your standard emergency bunkers. They are surprisingly charming. Beneath the muddy puddles that cover the floors are bright ceramic tiles, with small altars hollowed out from the walls still containing a handful of intriguing personal effects: bowls, bottles, half-burned candles. A wander through these underground Maltese tunnels provides a poignant reminder of the families that huddled here more than 70 years ago.
It’s not all bomb shelters and tunnels beneath Valletta though. Beyond curtains of knotted fig roots trailing down from the street is a vast three-storey-tall cistern. Directly beneath Great Siege Square, the public water tank was carved out in the 16th century by the Knights of Malta. It’s an eerie, atmospheric chamber whose silence echoes with its rich history. Linking numerous residential basements with the national library, St John’s Co-Cathedral and even, supposedly, the presidential palace, the cistern is rarely open to the public apart from during occasional exhibitions.
Paola is a pretty 17th-century urban enclave 5km from Valletta that’s blessed with more than its fair share of beautiful old churches, dappled-shaded gardens and sleepy squares. The real treasure in this little town, though, is its extraordinary Ħal-Saflieni Hypogeum, a subterranean limestone temple that dates back to 3300 BCE. Both sanctuary and necropolis, the structure’s intelligent design directs sunlight to illuminate its lower levels, lighting up the rudimentary ochre paintings—the oldest of their kind in Malta—on its underground walls and ceilings.
A stone’s throw from the famous Dingli Cliffs is the town of Rabat, home not only to a stunning church, but also, beneath the hustle of the centre, the Catacombs of St Paul and, opposite them, St Agatha. Harking back to Roman times, the catacombs are said to be where the saint himself stayed following his shipwreck on the island in 60 AD. It’s in these hallowed halls that the first evidence of Christianity in Malta was unearthed. St Agatha’s is the more charismatic of the two, with its genuine human skeletons and faded Byzantine frescoes creating a macabre but compelling visit.