At Corinthia, we always strive to provide the best rates on our website. If you don’t think we have, we’ll pay for 100% of your room on the first night, and price match the rest. Should you find a lower price elsewhere, please submit a claim within 24 hours of your original booking and we will respond within two working days. Please note, this also applies to discounts and promotions available on Corinthia.com.
Process for making a claim:
Step 1. If within 24 hours of a confirmed reservation with Corinthia Hotels made on Corinthia.com, you find a lower rate for the same hotel, room type, inclusions, stay dates, discounts and payment conditions, please contact the relevant email address from the list below to make your claim. All claims must be made within 24 hours of the original booking and at least 24 hours prior to the standard check-in time of the hotel.
Step 2. Your claim should be supported by the URL where the lower rate was found and a screen shot which clearly displays the date of stay, room type, same hotel, inclusions and payment conditions of the lower rate offering on the competing website. Please include your contact information (name, email and phone number).
Step 3. If we are able to verify that the lower rate found qualifies for the Best Rate Guarantee, and all other terms and conditions are met, Corinthia Hotels will pay for 100% of the room charges of your first night, and will price match the room for the rest of your stay. You will be charged for all nights booked at the matched rate, minus the first night which will be free.
To make your claim, email the relevant hotel on one of the following:
First nightfree, match rate for rest of stay, no minimum nights
Terms and Conditions:
Corinthia Hotels guarantees the best online rate on corinthia.com based on the following terms and conditions:
1. Your original booking must have been made through corinthia.com.
2. The lower rate must be found and the claim submitted by email within 24 hours of the original booking and at least 24 hours prior to the standard check-in time at the hotel. If the original booking was made within 24 hours of arrival, the Best Rate Guarantee is not applicable.
3. The Best Rate Guarantee only applies to published rates available to the general public online, which can be found and booked immediately without any kind of restriction or payment restrictions.
4. The lower rate found must be for exactly the same booking criteria - the same hotel, the same room type, same inclusions, the same stay dates, same number of guests, the same rate description and, if applicable, the same promotion. The cancellation and advance purchase policy and all other terms and conditions of the stay must also be identical. If the claim refers to a reservation consisting of several nights' accommodation, the average rate for each night will be compared to the average rate for each night, for an identical reservation, using the website where the lower rate is found.
5. Corinthia Hotels will verify the lower rate claim and respond within two working days of the claim being made. *Claims will be processed from Monday to Friday, between 9am to 5pm, at the hotel's local time.
6. The rate comparison will be made net of any taxes, gratuities or any other fees or charges associated with the room rate, and the lower rate must still be available at the time the hotel validates the claim.
7. The Best Rate Guarantee is void where prohibited by law. Corinthia Hotels reserves the right to modify or cancel its Best Rate Guarantee policy at any time in its sole discretion and without prior notice.
8. Corinthia Hotels has the sole right and discretion to determine the validity of any claim, including without limitation, determining that the lower rate found is genuinely available and that the claim meets all terms and conditions. In case of dispute, Corinthia Hotels' decision is final.
9. In the case of a fully prepaid rate booked through corinthia.com, Corinthia Hotels will refund the difference to your credit card, if applicable, within 30 business days of submitting your claim. Corinthia Hotels is not responsible for any fees associated with cancelling a reservation made through a different channel.
10. Best Rate Guarantee will be suspended during times where corinthia.com or certain rates are not available due to an outage, a technical issue or a circumstance beyond Corinthia Hotels' reasonable control.
11. The Best Rate Guarantee does not apply to rates found offline, negotiated corporate rates, group or MICE rates, opaque provider rates or rates requiring membership in a club or other organization, governmental rates, direct mail or email solicitations, rates offered by providers that do not supply the name or location of the hotel until after a reservation has been made or other rates that are not available to the general public. We reserve the right to deny a claim if the availability of the Competing Rate cannot be independently verified at the time of processing the claim.
12. The Best Rate Guarantee does not apply to packaged rates. Packaged rates include Hotel accommodations sold as part of a travel package in which the Hotel does not provide all services (including but not limited to airfare and/or car rental, tours etc.) and Hotel accommodations sold with additional amenities.
13. Corinthia Hotels may deny a claim where the difference between the rates is less than 1%.
14. If the Competing Rate is in a different currency from the rate booked on corinthia.com, the Competing Rate will be converted into the same currency as the rate offered on our website using the exchange rate as published in www.xe.com in place at the time the initial reservation was made. Discrepancies may occur between Corinthia Hotels' rate and the Competing Rate due to differences in exchange rate sources. If the rate discrepancy is solely due to exchange rate fluctuations, we reserve the right to deny the claim.
Love history? Don’t miss the chance to explore the best forts in Malta
Over the centuries Malta has been invaded, occupied, and fought over by land, sea, and air; the evidence can be found all over the archipelago, from forts like Fort St. Elmo and Fort Ridella to fortified structures like the Red Tower. Some historic sites didn’t survive the action and the centuries that followed, and many, like the renowned Fort St. Angelo, are currently being restored. But for those looking for a glimpse into the country’s past right now, these are five of the best forts in Malta to explore during your visit.
For those looking to explore the most famous forts in Malta, it makes sense to start at Fort St Elmo – one of the major fortifications in the capital city of Valletta. The site has been a strategic military asset since around 1417, when a watchtower was first reported. It’s been attacked, destroyed, and rebuilt numerous times over the centuries that followed, but since its recent renovation, it’s looking better than ever.
Today, you can visit the fort to walk in the footsteps of history and see the National War Museum, also on the site; its collection of historic artefacts is comprehensive to say the least, with items dating back to the Bronze Age.
And if you still can’t imagine what it would have been like when the fort was fully operational, pick up a ticket to the In Guardia Parade: taking place every Sunday, enthusiastic re-enactors don full costume for the weekly performance.
But Fort St. Elmo wasn’t the only line of defence for the coastal city of Valletta. While you’re in town, take a walk along the city’s colossal bastions, which loom over the ocean below, looking out over to the 18th century Fort Manoel on Manoel Island (originally built to protect the city from the west, Fort Manoel is currently undergoing intensive restoration and, when it reopens its doors, will surely be one of the best preserved forts in Malta). Valletta also has its own Saluting Battery, which has been around for about 500 years and still performs regular gun salutes.
You can admire Gozo’s fortified Citadel from outside its walls (and you should), but don’t miss the chance to venture inside its formidable walls. Like Fort St. Elmo, the Citadel’s a survivor of the Great Siege of 1565, but the hill on which it’s perched has been settled since at least Neolithic times; commanding 360° views of the surrounding countryside, it would have been an enviable military stronghold. Today, you can enjoy the views, explore the wonderfully preserved architecture, and visit numerous top-notch museums and cultural spots, like the Baroque Gozo Cathedral.
Those hoping to visit a fort that’s still in use should make their way over to Fort Madalena. Although it no longer functions as a military fortress, this 19th century structure is used as the headquarters of the St. John Rescue Corps (a civil defence organisation). Visit on Saturdays, or during the week if you make an appointment, to see the original pentagonal fort structure, which was built as part of the Victoria Line defences, as well as the original mountings for the coastal defence guns.
It was its position on the crest of Marfa Ridge that gave the Red Tower site its strategic importance, which means that today’s visitors can enjoy some impressive vistas out across to Gozo and Comino Island (so don’t forget your camera). Important for the Knights of St John and used right up until the 20th century (it was manned in both World Wars), this squat, solid tower was restored in 2001 and can now be visited year-round thanks to its team of dedicated volunteers.
Fancy seeing what 19th century British engineers built to protect Malta from the Italians? Fort Rinella itself is impressive, but what set it apart from some of the other forts in Malta was its massive 100-ton gun positioned on the coastal battery – definitely enough to keep the Italian navy at bay. For a touch of historical flair, plan your visit to coincide with the regular volunteer tours where guides dress up like Victorian soldiers to show you round. Audience participation is not, thankfully, required.