At Corinthia, we always strive to provide the best rates on our website. If you don’t think we have, we’ll pay for 100% of your room on the first night, and price match the rest. Should you find a lower price elsewhere, please submit a claim within 24 hours of your original booking and we will respond within two working days. Please note, this also applies to discounts and promotions available on Corinthia.com.
Process for making a claim:
Step 1. If within 24 hours of a confirmed reservation with Corinthia Hotels made on Corinthia.com, you find a lower rate for the same hotel, room type, inclusions, stay dates, discounts and payment conditions, please contact the relevant email address from the list below to make your claim. All claims must be made within 24 hours of the original booking and at least 24 hours prior to the standard check-in time of the hotel.
Step 2. Your claim should be supported by the URL where the lower rate was found and a screen shot which clearly displays the date of stay, room type, same hotel, inclusions and payment conditions of the lower rate offering on the competing website. Please include your contact information (name, email and phone number).
Step 3. If we are able to verify that the lower rate found qualifies for the Best Rate Guarantee, and all other terms and conditions are met, Corinthia Hotels will pay for 100% of the room charges of your first night, and will price match the room for the rest of your stay. You will be charged for all nights booked at the matched rate, minus the first night which will be free.
To make your claim, email the relevant hotel on one of the following:
First nightfree, match rate for rest of stay, no minimum nights
Terms and Conditions:
Corinthia Hotels guarantees the best online rate on corinthia.com based on the following terms and conditions:
1. Your original booking must have been made through corinthia.com.
2. The lower rate must be found and the claim submitted by email within 24 hours of the original booking and at least 24 hours prior to the standard check-in time at the hotel. If the original booking was made within 24 hours of arrival, the Best Rate Guarantee is not applicable.
3. The Best Rate Guarantee only applies to published rates available to the general public online, which can be found and booked immediately without any kind of restriction or payment restrictions.
4. The lower rate found must be for exactly the same booking criteria - the same hotel, the same room type, same inclusions, the same stay dates, same number of guests, the same rate description and, if applicable, the same promotion. The cancellation and advance purchase policy and all other terms and conditions of the stay must also be identical. If the claim refers to a reservation consisting of several nights' accommodation, the average rate for each night will be compared to the average rate for each night, for an identical reservation, using the website where the lower rate is found.
5. Corinthia Hotels will verify the lower rate claim and respond within two working days of the claim being made. *Claims will be processed from Monday to Friday, between 9am to 5pm, at the hotel's local time.
6. The rate comparison will be made net of any taxes, gratuities or any other fees or charges associated with the room rate, and the lower rate must still be available at the time the hotel validates the claim.
7. The Best Rate Guarantee is void where prohibited by law. Corinthia Hotels reserves the right to modify or cancel its Best Rate Guarantee policy at any time in its sole discretion and without prior notice.
8. Corinthia Hotels has the sole right and discretion to determine the validity of any claim, including without limitation, determining that the lower rate found is genuinely available and that the claim meets all terms and conditions. In case of dispute, Corinthia Hotels' decision is final.
9. In the case of a fully prepaid rate booked through corinthia.com, Corinthia Hotels will refund the difference to your credit card, if applicable, within 30 business days of submitting your claim. Corinthia Hotels is not responsible for any fees associated with cancelling a reservation made through a different channel.
10. Best Rate Guarantee will be suspended during times where corinthia.com or certain rates are not available due to an outage, a technical issue or a circumstance beyond Corinthia Hotels' reasonable control.
11. The Best Rate Guarantee does not apply to rates found offline, negotiated corporate rates, group or MICE rates, opaque provider rates or rates requiring membership in a club or other organization, governmental rates, direct mail or email solicitations, rates offered by providers that do not supply the name or location of the hotel until after a reservation has been made or other rates that are not available to the general public. We reserve the right to deny a claim if the availability of the Competing Rate cannot be independently verified at the time of processing the claim.
12. The Best Rate Guarantee does not apply to packaged rates. Packaged rates include Hotel accommodations sold as part of a travel package in which the Hotel does not provide all services (including but not limited to airfare and/or car rental, tours etc.) and Hotel accommodations sold with additional amenities.
13. Corinthia Hotels may deny a claim where the difference between the rates is less than 1%.
14. If the Competing Rate is in a different currency from the rate booked on corinthia.com, the Competing Rate will be converted into the same currency as the rate offered on our website using the exchange rate as published in www.xe.com in place at the time the initial reservation was made. Discrepancies may occur between Corinthia Hotels' rate and the Competing Rate due to differences in exchange rate sources. If the rate discrepancy is solely due to exchange rate fluctuations, we reserve the right to deny the claim.
Cold-pressed, organic, wonderfully flavourful and much sought-after; San Niklaw olive oil is some of the best in Malta
Despite producing olive oil since Roman times, it’s only in recent decades that Malta’s olive oil cultivation has been revived. Today, Maltese olive oil is heralded as some of the best in the world, owing to its lively, peppery nature. One of the producers at the forefront of the olive oil revolution is the family-run San Niklaw, in the north of the island. San Niklaw co-founder, Dr John Cauchi, takes us on a tour of his remarkable estate.
You and your family run the San Niklaw Estate. Who undertakes what roles?
The Estate activity is undertaken as a family effort. We all get involved in most aspects of our operation.
What made you want to start producing olive oil?
As a family, we have always had a passion for food and wine. San Niklaw Estate was a project that was born in the family, utilising family fields that were rehabilitated. My late father Thomas had a keen passion for olive oil and was determined to plant an olive grove and produce his own oil. He achieved that goal and the estate now grows 500 olive trees in various stages of maturity.
Can you tell us about the varieties of olives that you grow?
In addition to old indigenous olive trees other cultivars were planted and include Frantoio, Carolea, Coratina, Ascolano and Picholin. Our olive trees are grown organically and no pesticides or herbicides are used.
What taste profile does your oil have?
Our olive oil is a unique harmonious blend of different cultivars, which gives a balanced fresh-fruity extra-virgin olive oil with a distinctive peppery character. Our olives are harvested at full maturity, which makes our oil less bitter with a ripe fruity taste, olive leaf freshness and negligible acidity.
What production methods do you use and why have you found them effective?
We have been utilising the cold extraction method, which has given us a good balance between ensuring a premium product and practicality in the production process. Our product is pure extra virgin oil that is consumed as is from the press with no additives or preservatives.
What properties does the Maltese climate and soil have that makes the island ideal for olive growth?
The olive tree is a hardy plant. It has been grown on the Maltese islands since Roman times. Indeed, San Niklaw Estate lies on the outskirts of the town of Zejtun, which boasted a concentration of olive tree plantations on the island. Zejtun is derived from the Phoenician and Semitic Arab meaning the fruit of the olive tree. It needs plenty of sunshine and grows in different types of soil. Our soils at San Niklaw are calcareous terra rossa soils with plenty of iron oxide.
The San Niklaw Estate produces wine as well as olive oils. What wines do you produce?
At San Niklaw we craft four wines; one white, Kappella San Nikola which is a Mourvedre grape, and three red; Neptunus (Vermentino grape) Contrada ta Fangu (Syrah grape) and Despatch (Sangiovese grape).
The Vermentino is ready for bottling after aging on its lees (yeast deposits) while the reds are bottled after a variable period of aging in French oak barrels.
You also work as a paediatric surgeon. How to you manage to juggle this with the vineyard and olive groves?
DIFFICULT but manageable with a bit of planning!
Could you ever see yourself leaving the medical profession to become a full-time vintner-olive-oil-producer?
Yes, though I’m sure I’d miss it terribly.
Where can people purchase your oil and wine?
We sell our olive oil and wines on site at San Niklaw. Our wines are also available at fine wine shops and top end restaurants in Malta.
What other local gourmet and artisanal products would make the perfect accompaniment to your olive oil?
Goats cheese with sundried or fresh tomatoes and fresh Maltese bread.
Can visitors to Malta tour the San Niklaw Estate?
We organise wine and olive oil tastings, usually accompanied by food by appointment. We can be reached through email email@example.com.