At Corinthia, we always strive to provide the best rates on our website. If you don’t think we have, we’ll pay for 100% of your room on the first night, and price match the rest. Should you find a lower price elsewhere, please submit a claim within 24 hours of your original booking and we will respond within two working days. Please note, this also applies to discounts and promotions available on Corinthia.com.
Process for making a claim:
Step 1. If within 24 hours of a confirmed reservation with Corinthia Hotels made on Corinthia.com, you find a lower rate for the same hotel, room type, inclusions, stay dates, discounts and payment conditions, please contact the relevant email address from the list below to make your claim. All claims must be made within 24 hours of the original booking and at least 24 hours prior to the standard check-in time of the hotel.
Step 2. Your claim should be supported by the URL where the lower rate was found and a screen shot which clearly displays the date of stay, room type, same hotel, inclusions and payment conditions of the lower rate offering on the competing website. Please include your contact information (name, email and phone number).
Step 3. If we are able to verify that the lower rate found qualifies for the Best Rate Guarantee, and all other terms and conditions are met, Corinthia Hotels will pay for 100% of the room charges of your first night, and will price match the room for the rest of your stay. You will be charged for all nights booked at the matched rate, minus the first night which will be free.
To make your claim, email the relevant hotel on one of the following:
First nightfree, match rate for rest of stay, no minimum nights
Terms and Conditions:
Corinthia Hotels guarantees the best online rate on corinthia.com based on the following terms and conditions:
1. Your original booking must have been made through corinthia.com.
2. The lower rate must be found and the claim submitted by email within 24 hours of the original booking and at least 24 hours prior to the standard check-in time at the hotel. If the original booking was made within 24 hours of arrival, the Best Rate Guarantee is not applicable.
3. The Best Rate Guarantee only applies to published rates available to the general public online, which can be found and booked immediately without any kind of restriction or payment restrictions.
4. The lower rate found must be for exactly the same booking criteria - the same hotel, the same room type, same inclusions, the same stay dates, same number of guests, the same rate description and, if applicable, the same promotion. The cancellation and advance purchase policy and all other terms and conditions of the stay must also be identical. If the claim refers to a reservation consisting of several nights' accommodation, the average rate for each night will be compared to the average rate for each night, for an identical reservation, using the website where the lower rate is found.
5. Corinthia Hotels will verify the lower rate claim and respond within two working days of the claim being made. *Claims will be processed from Monday to Friday, between 9am to 5pm, at the hotel's local time.
6. The rate comparison will be made net of any taxes, gratuities or any other fees or charges associated with the room rate, and the lower rate must still be available at the time the hotel validates the claim.
7. The Best Rate Guarantee is void where prohibited by law. Corinthia Hotels reserves the right to modify or cancel its Best Rate Guarantee policy at any time in its sole discretion and without prior notice.
8. Corinthia Hotels has the sole right and discretion to determine the validity of any claim, including without limitation, determining that the lower rate found is genuinely available and that the claim meets all terms and conditions. In case of dispute, Corinthia Hotels' decision is final.
9. In the case of a fully prepaid rate booked through corinthia.com, Corinthia Hotels will refund the difference to your credit card, if applicable, within 30 business days of submitting your claim. Corinthia Hotels is not responsible for any fees associated with cancelling a reservation made through a different channel.
10. Best Rate Guarantee will be suspended during times where corinthia.com or certain rates are not available due to an outage, a technical issue or a circumstance beyond Corinthia Hotels' reasonable control.
11. The Best Rate Guarantee does not apply to rates found offline, negotiated corporate rates, group or MICE rates, opaque provider rates or rates requiring membership in a club or other organization, governmental rates, direct mail or email solicitations, rates offered by providers that do not supply the name or location of the hotel until after a reservation has been made or other rates that are not available to the general public. We reserve the right to deny a claim if the availability of the Competing Rate cannot be independently verified at the time of processing the claim.
12. The Best Rate Guarantee does not apply to packaged rates. Packaged rates include Hotel accommodations sold as part of a travel package in which the Hotel does not provide all services (including but not limited to airfare and/or car rental, tours etc.) and Hotel accommodations sold with additional amenities.
13. Corinthia Hotels may deny a claim where the difference between the rates is less than 1%.
14. If the Competing Rate is in a different currency from the rate booked on corinthia.com, the Competing Rate will be converted into the same currency as the rate offered on our website using the exchange rate as published in www.xe.com in place at the time the initial reservation was made. Discrepancies may occur between Corinthia Hotels' rate and the Competing Rate due to differences in exchange rate sources. If the rate discrepancy is solely due to exchange rate fluctuations, we reserve the right to deny the claim.
From the elegance of Pastelaria Versailles, to the famed Pastéis de Belém, we round up the best Lisbon cafés and pastelarias
For many, Portugal is synonymous with the pasteis de nata, the traditional egg pastry tarts enjoyed the world over. But there’s more to Lisbon cafes than the humble pastel. Indeed, the Portuguese have a long history of pastries traceable to the convents and monasteries of the 18th century, where egg whites were used to starch clothes, leaving a surplus of yolks. A stroll around Lisbon today will reveal countless pastelarias on every street, from heritage spots like the famous Pastéis de Belém to the sumptuous, Parisian stylings of Pastelaria Versailles and the bohemian Pastelaria Mexicana. With so much choice, we’ve selected the cream (custard?) of the crop – perfect for visitors looking to hunker down with a warming cup of coffee and a pastry…or two, or three…
With its beautiful stucco façade and perfectly preened waiting staff, the Pastelaria Versailles is one of the more popular Lisbon cafes for those craving a bit of old-world glamour. The wide range of pastries and cakes is fresh and generally veers towards the traditional, but they do serve something quite unique: the pastel de chocolate. This chocolate flavour variation on the traditional pasteis de nata makes for an indulgent chocolaty treat, especially when paired with a steaming cup of cocoa.
Originally founded in 1837, Pastéis de Belém is regarded by some as producing the best pasteis de nata in the city – and the snaking queues of tourists, particularly during summer, suggests that word’s got out. The service is brisk and efficient if you queue so it’s worth fighting for one of the indoor tables, especially if you plan to order seconds. Which you almost certainly will.
Pasteleria Aloma has won awards for its pasteis de nata in the past, but its pastry selection is excellent across the board. We’re particularly fond of the Bola Berlim, which is the Portuguese take on the jam-filled Berliner doughnut. While it isn’t as grand and atmospheric as some of the other Lisbon cafes and pastelarias on this list – it has a more neighbourhood feel – it’s the freshness of their pastries that makes Aloma an essential stop-off.
Located near to the upmarket Avenida de Roma, Pastelaria Mexicana is a true local hangout with plenty of history. In business since 1946 (and still run by descendants of the original founders), the café’s long been a meeting point for artists. It’s also a designated public interest site, with its striking decorative ceramic panels almost (almost) drawing your attention away from the sweet offerings. We recommend grabbing a hot chocolate and one of their renowned Bolo Rei (King Cake, an old fashioned Christmas treat) and settling in for an afternoon of people watching.
This traditional Lisbon teahouse in the Bairro Alto is one of the more elegant pastelarias in Lisbon. Less fraught than the nearby Café Brasileira, the long, brass-finished counter is filled with a huge range of tempting cakes and local pastries. Whether you’re starting out here with one of their indulgent chocolate croissants (baked fresh in store) or rounding a day off with afternoon tea, Bernard’s warm and cosy atmosphere is always conducive to lingering a little longer.
Located a little further out in the Restelo district, if you’ve made the trip to Pastelaria do Restelo you’re probably here for one thing: the croissants. Dense with butter and sugar, these pastries are quite distinct from their elegant French counterparts. If you’re after something slightly lighter on the carb count, opt instead for one of their excellent palmier pastries. Hugely popular among tourists and locals, be warned that this bakery can get a little crowded at times.